Uncle's story

/
0 Comments

Janakraj Sapkota/ Kathmandu

Aug 19, 2017

On June 18, my father rang me from our home at Gitanagar of Chitwan district. “What should we do? Are you there? Get the information immediately on what we need to do now, and that too as soon as possible!” He uttered everything in a single breath.

My father has a husky voice but never used to talk in such a rush. As soon I put down the phone; I felt water is running through my veins, not bloods.

My first thought was about Dhanbir uncle. I call him uncle because he and my father are close. Not only his voice is pacifying, he has a tireless attitude and always doing new things. He really made an impression on me.

This was a big loss to uncle Dhanbir. I thought to myself: “If there really is God, he must be very cruel.”


He had only one son, Suraj. Like other youths, he too went to Qatar to earn some money. However, he returned back after working in the foreign country did not meet his expectations.

Suraj also went to Russia once after colluding with an ‘agent’. He returned home again, and left for Saudi to work as driver. Two and a half years back, he was driving his own tempo. The last words I heard about Suraj over phone had the news about his death.

Only God knows how he died. How did it come to that? The only information we received was that he was travelling with a new Filipino driver to instruct and show him the directions of roads. The vehicle met with an accident on the way and everything happened. The news about his death was true, but we did not want to know anything more than that as we were not in the condition to listen more about the incident.

I rushed to the consular section of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA). I said everything to Director General Gahendra Rajbhandary. He then instructed the officials to bring the dead body to Nepal as soon as possible. In my short stay at the office, our conversation went as follows:

“Sir, how many days will it take to bring the dead body?

“I can’t say anything right now. It’s very difficult to bring dead body from Saudi.”

“Any guess?”

“It takes almost 45 days in average to bring body from Saudi. Sometimes, it may come a few days early too.”

“Isn’t there any way to speed up the process?”

“We can’t do anything on this. Everybody asks me the same question, and every time I am left without an answer.”

I sent the information that the process to retrieve the body has been initiated. And the countdown began. My uncle, local civil society leaders, ward chairperson, family members and other relatives of the deceased used to call me every day and ask me questions like:

“What is the progress?”

“Can’t this thing be done faster by approaching people in the position of power?”

“It’s been such a long time. Is there really no other way?

I used to reply in a resigned voice, “The process has started I’m told. I have visited every possible place for this.”

My colleague Hom Karki, who lived in Qatar for long time, called Consulate General of Nepal in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, Rebati Raman Paudel. Another colleague Ram Chandra Adhikari was doing his best contacting the MoFA.

Days were passing in snail’s pace. At the time of his death, Eid -- a major festival of Muslims – was being observed in all Muslim countries. All the government offices in Saudi were closed. Poudel had said that the related government offices will open only after Eid. “We will start the process after the office opens. Until then, we are helpless.”

Fifteen more days were remaining for Eid to end. How can his family handle such a long wait? Dad used to call me once in every two days, and used to ask what has been the progress? “Nothing”, I used to reply in a soft voice.

After 15 days, I used to get phone calls regularly from my village. My colleague Hom started to call Jeddah every alternate day. I also started calling DG Rajbhandary regularly. But every time the answer used to be like: “Please don’t worry. We are trying. It should conclude in a few days. It’s not a one-man effort so it takes some time.” To those who call me, I used to reply, “I am trying my best. It may conclude in a few days.”


In those desperate days, I remembered those families who do not have any access and none to speak on their behalf. If their relative dies abroad, what would happen? Who will hear their voice?

We didn’t get enough information from embassy and from the consular office. We only had God to put our faith.

Suraj used to work in Bin Sadik Block Factory. The family members of Suraj were in contact with the workers working in that company. They used to pass the information they receive from the company. As they were lower level staffs, the information they receive used to unreliable, and that used to keep family members in dilemma.

The total contribution of remittance in the total gross domestic product (GDP) of the country is almost 32 percent. And yet, this country cannot bring dead body of a migrant worker on time.

Uncle Dhanbir used to all me on phone and say, “I know he is no more. But I would feel good if we can bring the dead body as soon as possible.”

In between that time, I was participating in a workshop titled ‘Regional Project on South Asian Initiative’ in Kathmandu as a fellow of an organization named ‘Panos South Asia’. During the workshop, the question I asked to the representatives of different countries was: “If your citizen dies in Saudi Arabia, how many days does it take to bring the dead body to your country?”

A journalist of Duniya News Pakistan, Imran Atahar, replied, “A week.” A Sri-Lankan working in the issue related to foreign employment said, “10 to 15 days.” A journalist from Bangladesh, Morsad Ali said, “Our government is a little weak. It takes almost two to three months. An Indian journalist, Rejimon Kuttappan said, “Our government is strong. It does not take more than a week.”

 I felt even worse after listening to everybody’s answer. Our politicians make big promises during election campaigns but they are not serious in bringing the dead body of the migrant workers on time. Don’t they know, every day a total of three Nepali in average come back to Nepal in a coffin?

The days were passing. Dhanbir uncle came on my mind every day. Two decades earlier, he was the only one mason who used to repair bicycle. That’s why everyone in the village used to call him ‘cyclewale’.

A month passed. The company needed to complete all the documental works to send the dead body to Nepal. However, the embassy informed us that companies do not prioritize such things, delaying the arrival of the dead. Finally after weeks we received information that the company has come in the contact of the embassy. And, after few days of receiving the call, we got news that one of the necessary documents is ready.

We realized that companies take a long time to prepare police report, report of Ministry of Labor, insurance clearance, hospital report, among other documents. The embassy does not follow-up on the process frequently fearing that the company may get angry and delay the process even more.

The family members did not want anything more, even compensation. They just wanted the dead body to be brought to Nepal as soon as possible. Forty days passed and still there was not much progress. Colleague Chandra Shekhar sought help from Bharat Poudel, spokesperson of MoFA. But, the matter was not solved.

One day, we heard news that representatives of the company is going to the embassy with all the documents. We are told that dead body will reach Nepal within a week. I informed uncle Dhanbir. He then asked me whether or not the company’s representative will come and if we have idea about the exact arrival date.
Crimination place of Pashupati, Kathmandu


To answer those questions, I again sought help from my colleague Hom. He brought the news that the representatives of the company were hit by a storm while coming to the embassy and so they turned back. That day was Thursday and the government offices remain close on Friday and Saturday in Saudi Arabia. I told everything to Uncle. He took a deep breath.

I thought there will be some progress on Sunday. We did not receive any information about the arrival of dead body and the airlines. We later found that one document submitted by company was in Arabic language, which resulted in the delay. The death of his son was making uncle weaker day by day. While waiting for Suresh’s body, the condition of uncle Dhanbir, aunt, deceased’ wife and children just cannot be explained in words.

I then went home and meet uncle. The pain was easily visible on his face. He said in a soft voice, “His soul would rest in peace if we can bring the dead body in time.” I could not say anything in reply.

Uncle visited my home early in the morning the next day. He did not express his pain. Before the death of Suraj, uncle had donated Rs 100,000 to the nearby temple to build an iron gate in the name of his dead parents. The gate was about to get ready. After long conversation with dad, uncle said that Suraj name will also be written on the Iron Gate. Uncle in a deep voice said, “Human’s life is nothing. It will be easy for everyone if there will be a gate in the temple.”

There was no news about the arrival of the dead body. Uncle had heard that it takes time to order coffin; and embassy searches a cheap ticket in cargo to send the dead body, which also results in the delay. “Ask the embassy how much money is needed. I’ll send it from here. Money and wealth does not matter when people die.” I could only try to console him in response.

Finally on the 53th day of his death, we got information that the dead body is arriving Nepal via Etihad Airlines on August 13 at 8.30 pm. I informed about this to the family members. However, the next day, Airlines Company said that the body will arrive a day later on August 14.

The Mugling-Naraynghat road section was in the poorest condition. So, the family members came to Kathmandu via Hetauda. Foreign Employment Promotion Board provided hearse. When we reached the airport, the number of youths travelling for foreign employment was massive. And I prayed, “God please don’t let this happen to anyone.”

It was almost 10 pm when the body arrived. It was raining outside, which made me feel that even the sky is mourning Suraj’s death.

Note : This reporting was originally published in Nepali language in Kantipur daily (https://www.kantipurdaily.com/blog/2017/08/19/20170819095058.html )




You may also like

Powered by Blogger.

.

.

.

.